DieselNet News Directory Standards Technology Resources Careers Forum Search

US spec. Jetta TDI in Europe

Discuss technical topics and ask questions about engine, fuel and emission technologies.

US spec. Jetta TDI in Europe

Postby atco1982 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:45 pm

Does a 2011 US VW Jetta TDI meet European emission specs? Comparison of US LEV data and Euro5/6 leaves me cold. I have emailed US VW and German VW and get no POSITIVE responses.
atco1982

Re: US spec. Jetta TDI in Europe

Postby andicame on Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:20 pm

can anyone tell me why my 2010 vw jetta tdi has been severely damaged by water in the fuel - they tell me at the dealership. system rusted out. car is 4 months old with 7000 miles. vw says not their problem. help!
andicame

Postby andicame on Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:48 am

I have found the problem to be the high pressure fuel pump failure, not the fuel. There are over 50 complaints on the internet with this same problem. Vw refuses to repair my car which is estimated to cost 8000 dollars. There is a class action suit started which I plan to join. I also plan to call a lemon law attorney on Monday.
andicame

Postby laboman on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:03 am

atco1982 wrote:Does a 2011 US VW Jetta TDI meet European emission specs? Comparison of US LEV data and Euro5/6 leaves me cold. I have emailed US VW and German VW and get no POSITIVE responses.

Well, the test cycles from US and EU regulations are really different. You cannot tell from the US test results if it would pass the EU certification. The car would probably be delivered with a different engine calibration for the EU market so only VW might answer that, unless you pay to perform an emission test sequence. You would then at least know but that won't be enough to say that the car is EU certified and obtain a registration in the EU.

Hope that helps.

Simon
laboman

Postby silentdub on Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:13 am

YES it is. The VW Clean Diesel Technology is actually from Mercedes Benz, and yes, it exceeds the emissions standards on the European union.

As for the guy with, I would call VWOA and explain to them what is going on. 7,000 miles should be nothing for that vehicle.

I can't see how anything can even rust in that amount of time. Take it to someone else.
silentdub

Return to Technical Topics: Engines, Fuels & Emissions