DieselNet News Directory Standards Technology Resources Careers Forum Search

Introduction

Discuss technical topics and ask questions about engine, fuel and emission technologies.

Introduction

Postby Wayne Borean on Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:45 pm

Hello. It's been a while since I posted here, probably five or six years. I see the messages from the old days when I was known as Forkliftguy no longer exist.

While I'm no longer working in the industry, in fact I'm not working at all, I still have an interest in engines and emission controls. I've recently run into some rather odd occurrences which I am researching. At some point I may be bringing some rather weird questions here while I work out whether there is a real problem, or whether the people who are asking me the questions have been smoking too much medicinal marijuana.

Also I'm looking at putting together a book on emission control systems for Joe Average to combat the idiotic rumors that you can get an extra 100 horsepower out of a 2011 Corvette by ripping the catalytic converters off, and that you can double the fuel economy of the 2010 Class 8 truck by removing the Diesel Particulate Filter. I'm serious. There are tons of rumors like this, and there are rumors of people selling kits which are supposed to disguise the removal of the devices, and of people selling instructions on who to install bypass systems. Part of the book would cover the the snake oil sales people selling this sort of stuff (if they actually exist - I'm trying to confirm that).

Wayne
Through the Looking Glass
Wayne Borean

Return to Technical Topics: Engines, Fuels & Emissions