Sierra Instruments, Inc.
5 Harris Ct., Building L
Monterey, CA 93940
11680 Rachel Lane
Dewitt, MI 48820
1934 RE Egmond aan den hoef
R.M.618, Tomson Centre, Building A
188 Zhang Yang Road
Pu Dong New District
P.R. China 200122
BG3: New Engine PM Sampling Standard is Born
Eliminate Need for Expensive & Cumbersome Full-Flow CVS systems
The BG3 Partial Flow Dilution (PFD) technology has been in use since 2004 as a workhorse performing engine research and development to accurately sample exhaust particulate matter (PM) emissions over both steady state and transient test cycles. On January 7, 2011, PFD was signed into law and is now included in the United States Federal Register as a legally recognized alternative method to CVS in 40 CFR part 1065 for engine certification. The Direct Final Rule (DFR) contains, among other things, the heretofore unprecedented allowance to use PFD for engine emissions particulate matter (PM) transient certification testing.
The Docket for the DFR shows that the basis for the US EPA decision was the correlation to FTP and NRTC CVS transient test cycle PM, as required by 40 CFR Part 1065.12 demonstrated by BG3. A nearly 5-year program in cooperation with the US EPA resulted in a BG3 vs CVS multiple engine, two-lab correlation study (requiring the measurement of PM over a two-decade range in concentration levels) was performed to prove BG3 complies as a suitable, fully compliant alternative method to CVS for certification of engines tested on 2007 and Tier IV transient test cycles. This historical milestone opens the door to greater PM testing flexibility for all Heavy Duty (HD) as well as the Light Duty engine manufacturers requiring compliance to 40CFR Part 1065 test procedures. Learn more about the BG3...
What Makes the BG3 the Ideal Alternative
BG3 is the recognized standard in the industry for partial flow sampling. BG3 is the most widely used technology of its type
and boasts an installed base of hundreds of units globally.The following are some reasons customers throughout the world have chosen BG3.
- Approximately 1/10th of CVS system cost of ownership
- Approximately 1/100th to 1/1000th the annual energy usage versus a CVS, depending on CVS size and design
- Can be used on engines of any size and on any fuel in both engine and chassis test cells
- Patented partial flow dilution tunnel has ultra-low particulate loss and requires no cleaning with proper operation
- Integrity of internal flow systems and proprietary daily mirror calibration method yields excellent accuracy and repeatability of PM results over wide range of dilution ratios
- Easily portable from cell to cell to maximize flexibility and return on investment
- Satisfies all ISO 8178, ISO 16183, 40 CFR 1065 and CFR Part 89 requirements for PDF performance
- Ability to accurately measure PM either pre and post catalyst and/or DPF for research or DF testing