5 June 2006
Ricardo, QinetiQ and PSA Peugeot Citroën unveiled their Efficient-C diesel hybrid prototype, developed through a collaborative research project under the UK Department for Transport’s Ultra Low Carbon Car Challenge. After two years of development, Ricardo and partners delivered a full hybrid diesel vehicle emitting only 99 g/km CO2—equivalent to 3.75 l/100 km or over 75 mpg—based on a fully featured Citroën Berlingo Multispace family car. This represents a 30% improvement in fuel economy and CO2 emissions when compared to the equivalent diesel production vehicle, said Ricardo.
The 5 door Euro 4 compliant Efficient-C demonstrator vehicle comprises the following integrated technologies:
- A fuel-efficient PSA Peugeot Citroën 1.6 liter HDi, turbocharged and intercooled common rail diesel engine.
- A compact 23 kW 288 V DC electric motor mounted between the engine and the transmission, providing up to 130 Nm electrical torque assist, efficient electrical power generation, regenerative braking and full electric vehicle (zero emissions) operation at low speed.
- A 5-speed automated manual transmission delivering cost effective automatic functionality.
- An advanced 288 V Li-Ion battery pack and battery management system to monitor state-of-charge, cell temperature, and cell voltage balance.
- Supporting systems including a low temperature cooling circuit to protect the electric motor and power electronics, an electro-hydraulic power assisted steering system, electrically powered air conditioning and a touch-screen driver display.
- A supervisory control system based on the Ricardo rCube prototype controller to coordinate the many vehicle systems to meet driver demands whilst optimizing fuel economy.
Among the project partners, Ricardo was the project leader and contributed program management and hybrid vehicle systems integration expertise. PSA Peugeot Citroën provided expertise in vehicle architecture, base vehicle hardware and hybrid powertrain components. QinetiQ contributed expertise in the areas of energy storage, battery management and high voltage wiring systems.