Papers & Reports
- Guidance for Biodiesel Producers and Biodiesel Blenders/Users
US EPA, November 2007A document which clarifies EPA’s regulatory requirements for biodiesel (ester) fuels.
- Biofuels—At What Cost? Government support for ethanol and biodiesel in the United States
The Global Subsidies Initiative (GSI), October 2006A comprehensive overview of government support initiatives provided to ethanol and biodiesel in the United States.
- Biodiesel As A Locomotive Fuel In Canada
Transport Canada, May 2003A report addressing the applicability of biodiesel as a fuel for locomotives in Canada.
- Production of Biodiesels from Multiple Feedstocks and Properties of Biodiesels and Biodiesel/Diesel Blends
NREL, March 2003NREL Report (NREL/SR-510-31460) on the investigation of biodiesels conducted by the Institute of Gas Technology.
- Technical Statement on the Use of Biodiesel Fuel in Compression Ignition Engines
EMA, February 2003A technical statement by the Engine Manufacturers Association providing an assessment of biodiesel fuels and the potential effects of their use with current technology engines.
- A Comprehensive Analysis of Biodiesel Impacts on Exhaust Emissions
US EPA, October 2002Draft Technical Report EPA420-P-02-001 analyzing the effect of biodiesel and its blends on emissions from heavy-duty highway engines.
- D6751-02 Standard Specification for Biodiesel Fuel (B100) Blend Stock for Distillate Fuels
ASTM, 2002Final ASTM specification for biodiesel blending stock, D6751-02, superseding the provisional standard PS121-99. Can be downloaded from ASTM web site (paid download).
- Provisional Specification for Biodiesel Fuel
ASTM, 1999The provisional specification for biodiesel fuel, PS121-99, can be downloaded from ASTM web site (paid download).
- An Overview of Biodiesel and Petroleum Diesel Life Cycles
NREL, 1998A study comparing petro- and biodiesel energy and emission issues over the life cycle of the fuels. Sponsored by the US Department of Energy and the Department of Agriculture.
- A Look Back at the US Department of Energy’s Aquatic Species Program
NREL, July 1998 (NREL/TP-580-24190)Summary of the US DOE’s program to develop renewable transportation fuels, primarily biodiesel, from algae.
- Biodiesel Research Progress 1992-1997
NREL, April 1998 (NREL/TP-580-24433)A summary of biodiesel and biodiesel-related research, development, demonstration, and commercialization projects in the USA between 1992 and 1997.
- Biodiesel Emissions Analysis Program
US EPAAn EPA program to quantify the air pollution emission effects of biodiesel on various types of diesel engines. The program objective is to examine HC, NOx, and PM emission impacts of biodiesel and biodiesel/diesel blends using existing data.
- Alternative Fuels Data Center: Biodiesel
US Department of EnergyBiodiesel resource includes general information, standards, codes, training and safety, and fuel supply info.
- Biomass Program: Biofuel Basics
US Department of EnergyBiofuel page within the DOE Biomass Program web site, including biodiesel and renewable diesel.
- Searchable Database of Biodiesel Reports
US National Biodiesel BoardBiodiesel report database can be searched by keywords, author, date, or summary. Some of the reports are available online.