Turkey adopts European emission standards. The requirements for domestic vehicles are outlined in the following table (the dates are for new type approvals, one year later for all types). Imported vehicles must comply with the current EU standards.
|2001||Euro 1||M1 diesel|
|Euro 3||M1 gasoline, no OBD|
|2010||Euro 5||M1 and N1 Class 1, N1 Class 2/3 from 2012|
Heavy-duty highway engines are required to meet European standards:
- Euro I effective 2001.01 for new type approvals and 2001.10 for all types [Reg 24249-SGM 2000/77]
- Euro IV effective 2007.01
- Euro V effective 2011.01
- Euro VI effective 2015.01
Effective January 1, 2008, new limits were introduced for sulfur in diesel fuels:
- 50 ppm S in diesel for commercial (highway) vehicles,
- 1,000 ppm S in diesel for ag tractors.